Thursday, December 2, 2010

We're New Here - Gil Scott-Heron and Jamie XX

I have to confess a secret love for UK indie band The XX, they have cleverly managed to span the divide between pop and electronic music and have been remixed by just about everyone in the UK bass scene. My favourite being the sublime Pariah remix of Basic Space.

Now The XX beatmaker (and drummer in the band), Jamie XX has confirmed his new project, a remix version of legendary Gil Scott-Heron's album I'm New Here on XL Recordings.



NY Is Killing Me - the first single from the album, out now here - beautifully combines Scott-Heron's vocal poetry with Jamie XX's dubstep roots.

For We're New Here, out on XL Recordings on February 21, Jamie XX has remixed 13 of the 15 tracks from the original I'm New Here sessions, including four "interlude" cuts. Many were created on his laptop, while on tour with The XX.

Tracklist
1. I’m New Here
2. Home
3. I’ve Been Me (Interlude)
4. Running
5. My Cloud
6. Certain Things (Interlude)
7. The Crutch
8. Ur Soul and Mine
9. Parents (Interlude)
10. Piano Player
11. NY Is Killing Me
12. Jazz (Interlude)
13. I’ll Take Care Of U

For more Jamie XX, check out this beautifully programmed mix, created for fashion label Collette back in May.