Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Jack Dixon Interview



We first came across London producer Jack Dixon on Soundcloud and have been devoted followers ever since.

Having captured the attention of many around the world and with tunes coming out on several different labels, this guy is definitely one to watch!

He was kind enough to answer some questions for us and as a special gift to you we have an amazing Jack Dixon EP to give away exclusively through Allsorts.

Downoad the Jack Dixon "We Had" EP (We had a better life/ Somebody said they saw you) (320kbps)

Can you tell us a bit about you and your background with music?
Music has always been a massive part of my life, from being in bands as a teenager, to DJing, producing and collecting music. I’ve always been a fan of electronic music, as I feel it’s always been at the forefront of pushing originality and diversity.

You only really broke into the scene in 2010, but you must have a history with production because your sound is so polished.
I started producing years ago, heavily inspired by what Warp records were doing in the late 90s. As soon as I heard the first blip on an Autechre record I wanted to make stuff like that – it blew me away. I was always amazed by how easily anyone could get into producing – all it takes is a little knowledge and experimentation. I’ve produced everything from house, techno, and electronica to metal and drone – all of which has helped me understand the science behind music production. And as technology has moved on, there are now more opportunities for anybody to start producing with little or no hardware and share their creations across the internet. I think that’s really made a huge impact on the music industry.

There has been a bit of confusion as to the classification of the sort of music that you are making, some are calling it Future Garage. What are you calling it?
Future Garage is technically a fresh take on a classic sound – people picked up on it and I guess it’s stuck. With anything new, it takes time to make waves, but there’s some incredible stuff out there at the moment. As the cliché goes – I don’t want to be pigeonholed into a genre – I just make the music that I love.

Who are some of the producers that you find inspiring?
Currently, I’m loving everything Alex Celler releases, the man can do no wrong. Lots and lots of house & techno: Johnny D, UGLH, Federico Locchi, Leon, Findling & Lihab – too much to list! Lots of great summery vibes coming from all of these producers at the moment.

Also really digging CosminTRG’s stuff at the moment, new Caper EP is great – nice grooves, deep and moody. One to watch is Josif too.

What are your top 5 tunes of the moment?
Tough question – but here's what’s twiddling my digits at the moment!

1) Sercan & Nico Lahs – U Know
2) Josif – Georgia
3) Leon – Stars
4) UGLH & Federico Locchi - House Gift
5) Sick Rick - Crossing

What is the personal root for you of the urge to make music?
I’m hugely inspired by film, music, and events. All of these things give me the drive to create music of my own. It’s a huge buzz hearing great feedback from DJs, producers or supporters – either way, it keeps me doing what I love. I don’t really have any particular methods or routines to making music – just whenever the moment is right!

You’re also a designer, as people who are involved in design ourselves tell us a little bit about the design world in London.
I’ve been designing for as long as I can remember – working at various agencies and start-ups in the capital. I started off working purely in the music industry, off the back of my own record label I set up in 2002. After the label ended, the design element still appealed to me, and I decided to take it full time. 8 years on and it’s still a huge part of my life, and I’m lucky to have met and worked with some great people.

Who are your personal design/art inspirations?
Not an easy question to answer as it makes me realise I’ll never be as good! Haha – some of my personal favourites (& friends) – Sergio @ Serial Cut, Spanish design at it’s best. I worked with Sergio years ago, and he never ceases to amaze me. Check it out, it’s pure eye-candy! Vincent Bechét from Pulco Mayo – character design, illustration and general madness, a great friend, and inspiration. Another favourite is Alex Trochet – if you like typography, then check out him out, as he’s killing it at the moment.

You have a fair few tunes signed now, what have you got coming out?
I have a 3 track EP coming out later this year on Echodub, which will actually be their first ever vinyl release. I’m really excited about this one as the current roster is really strong – Alex (Echodub/DFRNT) knows his stuff, and I’m honoured to be working with them. I also have a 4 track EP coming out on Take later this year – this is a collaboration with Robin Card (Fabric) – it’s much more dancefloor orientated and geared towards getting people moving. Other than that, I also have an EP out on Silverback – a new Belgian label that are making waves in the scene. There’s lots more potential releases in the works, so I guess watch this space!

Visit Jack Dixon on MySpace

Downoad Jack Dixon's EP "We Had" here (320kbps)